About Me

My photo
I am a therapist in Louisville, KY USA.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Oh No. New Years Eve--another romaticized and lonely holiday

I am planning two more entries for this blog before closing shop and while I have been talking about putting the past behind and looking to the future, it does serve to recognize that New Years Eve is another opportunity for pain and loneliness. 

How New Years Eve is Celebrated

New Years Eve seems to be more of an individual time where people are with friends and significant others than with families.  It is supposed to be a fun time where people get together to mark the changing the of the year.  The ideal is to put on tuxedos and ball gowns and throw confetti and drink champagne when the clock strikes midnight new years eve.

Some people are stand in Times Square in New York City to watch the ball drop.  When the ball drops couples will give each other a kiss to ring in the new year.  Some will propose marriage to each other. I do not find standing out in the cold for up to eight hours very interesting, but I am satisfied to watch it on TV in the comfort of my livingroom as I burrow in thinking how safe I am being off the road from all the likely drunk drivers on the road.

Some people may go to church services to ring in the new year.  For them it is a spiritual event to be with God.

Where the pain and loneliness is . . .

For many people, it will be lonely.  Maybe some had hopes that by this time they would have someone to hold and be with and the wait would be over--someone who would make them feel special and with whom they belonged.  Others have lost loved ones during the year and this is another holiday without them.   Some people have gotten separated and/or divorced and are still reeling in the numbness of the loss of the relationship.   The emotions get complicated when you are alone and you do not feel like being with anyone. 

Loneliness is when being alone hurts and we have a need to be with people.  It is complicated when someone is a survivor and has a hard time trusting.  This is something I have discussed in other blog posts.

New years eve seems to be associated with alcohol assumption.  Many people will drink themselves to the point of being drunk.  They will have poor judgment and get behind the steering wheels of their cars and they will get arrested at some police checkpoint. 

At this point, I have to recognize as I have in other posts that some people are going to have pain as they think about the hurts of the past year.   Some will simply drink themselves to sleep to escape the loneliness and pain.

Moving on.

If you are not relating to this, congratulations.  If you are relating to the material I am writing tonight, I would encourage you to try and focus on something else tonight and work to stop focusing on pain. They call this 'thought stopping.'  Maybe think about what you want from the new year (see my previous blog). Consider watching the dropping of the ball on TV and then go to bed.  

It is another holiday that will end and tomorrow will be a new day.  I wish I had something better to say but hold on, consider reading some of the previous posts of this blog if you are looking for coping skills.

See you next year--or better yet tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment