About Me

My photo
I am a therapist in Louisville, KY USA.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Grief a Second Year.


My father died Labor Day 2015.  I have made a full circle for myself in terms of going through the different holidays and other significant events of the year.   I have gone on in the year being mindful most of the time.  There have been a few surprise grief-related issues that have come up with regards to my family, but I do not have the liberty to describe them here, but I will talk about mine.  This aims to be tastefully real and discuss  what is therapist tested and approved.  
For 10 years prior to my father’s death I had been mindful that there would be a day he would no longer be around.  I made sure that I hugged him and told him I loved him when I saw him and when I said good-bye.  We had some meaningful times together within our ability to have them.  He did get to read my textbook that I wrote and published and he stated his approval of it.  We departed on a good note and I have no regrets.
As I look back through the previous year, I think that I did fairly well and awkward was the operative word.  The toughest week was the week after his death where it felt like I had concrete shoes.  From having seen others in shock, I told myself that this was grief and that the shock of such matters can be physical too.  Christmas and Thanksgiving were merely on the awkward side because of the changes that a phone call to dad and a gift for Dad were not in the cards and Mom had moved from Florida to Indiana just before Christmas.
 Fathers Day was the harder of the different “holidays.  I don’t have any specific answers as to why it was harder, but it just was melancholy. 
The Grass Fire

The memory of the grassfire in 1978 was what affected me most in the past year.  I will be real here and disclose that on my father’s first birthday after his death I thought about this.  On a sunny day in late October the Rock Island rail line ignited a large grassfire during dry conditions that burned about a quarter mile until it got to our place.  I remember the low black clouds and hearing the sirens get closer and bringing it to my father’s attention.  We got some shovels and went the quarter-mile back to the back fence line.
      When we got back there my dad jumped over the back fence and went down and around the fire line on our neighbor’s property to see if he could help.  I remembered that the Altoona Iowa Fire Chief drove on our property to survey the situation and then he left.  A little while later the fire came roaring up like the ocean tide engulfing me in a cloud of hot smoke leaving me choking. It was just me alone and I was afraid.
 I remember tucking tail and running and then saying a prayer and running back at the fire.  I don’t ‘think that I was a great or even good firefighter but I beat out what flames I could along a line in several places and the fire stopped about four to five feet inside our property. I was thankful that Dad came walking back after the fire had died. We spent the rest of the day putting out hot spots.  I look back now and think that because we mowed our hay and the neighbor hadn’t, the fire simply died out for lack of fuel. 
It surprised me how much I remembered the story and how it much it affected me. I also look back and I am reminded that I was in perhaps greater danger than I realized and that there were angels protecting me.  
Looking Ahead with my Family and Coping

         Memories aside from the past year and the past period, I look into the second trip through the calendar of grief and I have discovered that my family and I are not handling things the same way.  Things have gotten a little more complicated in ways with regards to new family drama given the changes. 
         With some changes come new discoveries.  People are getting into others spaces and having unforeseen conflict in the crossing of boundaries.  There are strange and awkward discussions about what did not used to get talked about.  New information about old situations gets disclosed. Family members show emotion that they did not show previously.  It is a mixture of amusement, bewilderment, and further shock.   
        I figure my family is like other families.  There is nothing that weird about my family. Of course every family has its secrets, but there is nothing new under the sun.  We are just embarrassed about our family secrets and there are subjects that we avoid talking about because it is just better that way.

        I have been a fan of Rational-Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT) because we enter into situations with beliefs and thoughts and emotions.  The essence of REBT is that we can change our thoughts and beliefs when we go into situations and come out with less negative feelings and less stress.   It is a usable theory in terms of teaching a method of how to cope.
       In line with REBT I hold that we wear those beliefs, thoughts and emotions as glasses.  It is akin to the adage of someone wearing “rose-colored” glasses to describe someone who is foolishly seeing things as too positive.  With grief and loss, the glasses are dark like sunglasses and we tend to see everything as dark and gray.

With our families and grief, we may have to craft our own eyeglasses to look at things as they come along.  We may have to prepare and choose to practice thinking certain thoughts and beliefs as they express emotions and do grief their way.  We don’t have to own their feelings, in fact it is better if we don’t. 
     My REBT eyeglasses have been the following.  My family members will act in the ways they will act.  They will do what they are going to do. I do not control what they do.  I don’t have to own what they do.  Sometimes grief is just grief and there does not have to be any more to it than that.  Maybe the holidays will end up being on the difficult side but they are not impossible and they end January 2.

Concluding Thoughts:
    I hope that this is helpful to you in thinking about grief and coping with the feelings.  Feel free to look back through the blog for things that may be of interest to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment